She makes me laugh Charlotte Family Photographer
Lately, Grace has been saying “could I have been any more gosh darn spastic?” (a quote from the movie, Legally Blonde) and she makes me laugh every time she unexpectedly says it. Our family loves to laugh and talk in movie quotes, but for some reason my little (can she really be 12?!!) girl saying this line the way she does cracks me up. Charlotte Family Photographer
Laughter is good for your health
I have heard that laughter is the best medicine. I researched it a little and actually found that laughing is one of the best things that you can do for your well being, emotionally and physically (no big surprise, really!).
A few facts:
- Laughter relaxes the whole body. A good, hearty laugh relieves physical tension and stress, leaving your muscles relaxed for up to 45 minutes after.
- Laughter boosts the immune system. Laughter decreases stress hormones and increases immune cells and infection-fighting antibodies, thus improving your resistance to disease.
- Laughter triggers the release of endorphins, the body’s natural feel-good chemicals. Endorphins promote an overall sense of well-being and can even temporarily relieve pain.
- Laughter protects the heart. Laughter improves the function of blood vessels and increases blood flow, which can help protect you against a heart attack and other cardiovascular problems.
Of course, knowing something is good for you and actually doing it more are two very different things. Here are a few ideas that could bring more laughter into you and your family’s life today:
- Read each other Laffy Taffy Jokes. These have got to be some of the silliest in the world, but they sure can be fun if you don’t take them too seriously.
- Smile more. Watching funny movies or quoting your favorites is sure to bring at least a smile, if not full blown laughter to a dinner table or other setting with those you love. (Napoleon Dynamite and Nacho Libre are some of the most fun and quotable movies our family loves to quote)
- Try not to take things so seriously. If you can laugh at a situation that you would normally stress over, it can change the whole feel of it. (This is probably the hardest thing to do, but probably the most important. It seems those two go together a lot!)
- Spend time with funny people. Everyone has a sense of humor but some are more practiced at it. Find the time to be with those that make you smile and laugh. Sometimes just slowing down the pace of life lets your family relax enough to see the humor.
Who and what is making you laugh, in your family, these days?
Davina Fear , Charlotte family photographer and Familyness Adventurer. She believes in bed time chats, bike rides down mountains, and in families who see that real life doesn’t have to be polished to be beautiful.
She blogs at davinafear.com, and creates photo documentaries for families who have days where everyday is anything but ordinary, going to school is a big deal, and growing up feels like it’s happening too fast. If you like to laugh together, and don’t want to miss this moment, get in touch by writing to email@example.com CLICK HERE to get your free e-book for familyness photos.